by Pastor Steve Kimes – How are the Homeless Dehumanized? Almost every person who is homeless goes through a process …Read the Rest
Volunteer OrientationIf you are interested in volunteering, please complete the forms in the Volunteer Packet (link above in "Resources" section) and mail to out PO Box.
We will be conducting periodic orientation sessions during the season. If you're interested please Email our volunteer coordinator and we'll let you know when and where our next scheduled volunteer orientation will be.
HR Warming ShelterShelter Phone (6pm-7am - when shelter is open): (541) 399-2249
P.O. Box 656
Hood River, OR 97031
See Calendar for
shelter dates and locations
Checks can be made out to HRWS and mailed to the address above.
We do not accept clothing or food donations.
Please direct your clothing donations to Valley Christian Church Thrift Shop
Food Donations can be made to FISH Food Bank
HRWS is a 501c3 organization through Gorge Ecumenical Ministries
- Connecting the Dots: Homelessness of Families and Youth Needs AttentionLynne Weise, Anne Arundel School District (MD) homeless liaison, welcomes the audience at Abundant LifeChurch.My audience last night in Glen Burnie, MD (on the outskirts of Baltimore) was a mixture of seasoned veterans who've worked with families and youth experiencing homelessness for years and newbies, the kind-hearted folks disturbed by knowing that […]
- Brutal Cold + Brutal Reality For Homeless Families/YouthKeynote speeches can be good or bad, stimulating or numbing. At the Beyond Housing conference put on by the venerable Institute of Children, Poverty and Homelessness in NYC last week, I could have danced on the table during Ralph da Costa Nunez’s opening salvo.Ever the contrarian, this respected guru of all things to help homeless families took a major shot […]
- Holiday Homelessness Reports: Poppycock!Sure as Santa replaces Halloween costumes on store shelves, pseudo-heart-wrenching reports about homelessness pummel us between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Tis' the season of befuddling accounts “documenting” our nation’s "progress" fighting homelessness.With decades of paltry federal homelessness-abating efforts failing to stem the tide of in […]
- Connecting the Dots: Homelessness of Families and Youth Needs Attention
- The Journey of HealingThe State of Georgia is undertaking an effort to evaluate how communities in this very diverse state can best deliver mental health and substance use recovery services. As the program continues to define recovery informed by peer navigators, state officials take important steps to improve personal network development and enhance peer support services.Organiz […]
- Seeking Interwoven ServicesSystems of Care (SOC) is a philosophy that involves collaboration across government and private agencies, providers, and families to improve access and to expand the array of coordinated community-based services and supports for children with serious emotional disturbance. Author Brian Prioleau interviewed Sherri Hammack to learn about a project expansion ut […]
- Showing Up For StudentsReleased in late 2013, the Education for Homeless Children and Youth Programs Data Summary provides insight into the number of students experiencing homelessness in U.S. public schools. This article highlights the staggering extent of the problem of homelessness for children and their families and offers recommendations for programs interacting with families […]
- Exploring ACA’s ImpactBarbara DiPietro, Director of Policy at the National Health Care for the Homeless Council, explores the impact of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) on SAMHSA grantee programs and provides approaches to build service systems that might be considered useful to increase capacity for care and remove access barriers for persons who have experienced homelessness with […]
- March’s Web Content Theme is Mental Health AwarenessThe author spoke with Dr. Stephen Pont, head of the Texas Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity, about strategies for treating kids with obesity. While the path towards obesity may be set by an early age for most people, there are treatments available to help maintain health and longevity that have been proven effective for all childre […]
- The Journey of Healing