Shelter Volunteers! Please join us for dessert, tea, and coffee as we celebrate of the shelter season!
Shelter ClosedHood River Warming Shelter is now closed for the season - we will reopen on November 16th - Location TBD
Thanks to each one of our 120 volunteers who made the shelter possible and who brought warmth, food, and friendship to the table!
Together you served over 50 different guests this season!
Volunteer OrientationIf you are interested in volunteering, please complete the forms in the Volunteer Packet (link above in "Resources" section) and mail to out PO Box.
We will be conducting periodic orientation sessions during the season. If you're interested please Email our volunteer coordinator and we'll let you know when and where our next scheduled volunteer orientation will be.
HR Warming ShelterShelter Phone (6pm-7am - when shelter is open): (541) 399-2249
P.O. Box 656
Hood River, OR 97031
See Calendar for
shelter dates and locations
Checks can be made out to HRWS and mailed to the address above.
We do not accept clothing or food donations.
Please direct your clothing donationsto Valley Christian Church Thrift Shop
Food Donations can be made to FISH Food Bank
HRWS is a 501c3 organization through Gorge Ecumenical Ministries
- No Glow Till We Take Care of the ChildrenA week ago tonight I was sitting on stage in Joliet, IL with the University of St. Francis president, the president of the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate, the USF VP of social ministry, and a few other folks who rotated on/off the stage. They had already hosted a delightful dinner, with most of the HEAR US board in attendance as well as plenty of […]
- Connecting the Dots: Homelessness of Families and Youth Needs AttentionLynne Weise, Anne Arundel School District (MD) homeless liaison, welcomes the audience at Abundant LifeChurch.My audience last night in Glen Burnie, MD (on the outskirts of Baltimore) was a mixture of seasoned veterans who've worked with families and youth experiencing homelessness for years and newbies, the kind-hearted folks disturbed by knowing that […]
- Brutal Cold + Brutal Reality For Homeless Families/YouthKeynote speeches can be good or bad, stimulating or numbing. At the Beyond Housing conference put on by the venerable Institute of Children, Poverty and Homelessness in NYC last week, I could have danced on the table during Ralph da Costa Nunez’s opening salvo.Ever the contrarian, this respected guru of all things to help homeless families took a major shot […]
- No Glow Till We Take Care of the Children
- What has been achieved in HIV prevention, treatment and care for people who inject drugs, 2010-2012? A review of the six highest burden countriesIn 2010 the international HIV/AIDS community called on countries to take action to prevent HIV transmission among people who inject drugs (PWID). To set a baseline we proposed an "accountability matrix", focusing upon six countries accounting for half of the global population of PWID: China, Malaysia, Russia, Ukraine, Vietnam and the USA. Two years […]
- Risk Detection and Self-Protection Among Homeless YouthUtilizing qualitative interviews with a large sample of 145 homeless youth seeking services at homeless youth service agencies from across three U.S. cities (Los Angeles, Denver, and Austin), this study sought to explore youths' perspectives on ways in which they detect risk and protect themselves on the streets (Authors).Journal Name: Journal of Resear […]
- Normalizing Sexual Violence Young Women Account for Harassment and Abusehis study moves the discussion from the question of why young women do not report them toward how violence is produced, maintained, and normalized among youth (Author).Journal Name: Gender & SocietyTags: sexual abuse; Harassment; rape; Youth; Adolescence
- Out on the street: A public health and policy agenda for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth who are homelessThus, the purpose of this article is to review the causes of homelessness among LGBT youth, discuss the mental health and victimization risks faced by this population, address differences among homeless LGBT subgoups, and recommend effective interventions and best practices (Authors).Journal Name: American Journal of OrthopsychiatryTags: LGBT; Mental Health; […]
- Intimate partner violence among women with mental health-related activity limitations: a Canadian population based studyThere is strong evidence that women with serious or chronic mental illness experience higher rates of violence than women in the general population. Our objective was to examine the risk of intimate partner violence (IPV), a form of violence that is often recurrent and linked to negative physical and psychological consequences, among a representative sample […]
- What has been achieved in HIV prevention, treatment and care for people who inject drugs, 2010-2012? A review of the six highest burden countries