First Friday Dunk Tank
by Andy Wade —
What do you get when you combine First Friday, warm weather, a dunk tank, and great volunteers?
A fun time, lots of water, and over $600 raised to help those without housing this winter!
Pastor Jeff Mueller of Immanuel Lutheran Church had an idea – what if we got a dunk tank to raise funds for our local warming shelter? The HRWS Coalition liked the idea and Pastor Jeff ran with it – I mean flat out ran! Before our coalition could blink, Pastor Jeff had lined up the Hood River Rental Center and G Willikers Toy Shoppe as sponsors of the event. And nearly as fast, he had a list of dunkees ready to get wet for a great cause.
“I really couldn’t ask people to go in the dunk tank unless I was willing,” Pastor Jeff commented. So Jeff signed himself up along with an impressive list of Hood River “celebrities” including:
- Kirby Neumann-Rea – Hood River News Editor
- TEMIRA – Gorge Rec. Radio Reporter/Outdoors expert
- Bob Francis – Hood River City Administrator
- Neal Holste – Hood River Police Chief
- Devon Wells – Hood River Fire Chief
- Ed Freysinger – Providence Hospital CEO
- Katie Crafts – C. G. Windsurfing Assoc. Exec. Director
Special thanks to our event sponsors, Hood River Rental Center and G Willikers Toy Shoppe, to our brave dunkee volunteers and support crew, to all of you who came out and donated to the cause, and to Pastor Jeff for a wonderful idea and for all the organizational effort you put in to make this event possible!